Leviathan / Abyss / Rahab / Elusive Serpent / Twisting Serpent / Livyathan / Nakhask / Rahabh / Tannin / Rager / Lotan
Time Period: Unknown
References in Literature: Bible / Christianity Verses: Job 41, 9:13, 26:12 and 3:8, Isaiah 27:1 and 51:9, Psalms 74:13-14 and 89:10, Isaiah 30:7,11, Psalms 89: 9-10, Job 9:13 and 26:12-13, Amos 9:3, Habakkuk 3:10, 2 Esdras 6:52, 2 Baruch 29:3-8, Jonah 2:1
Sources: XDrac, Windseeker, Illiana, Dragonsight, DenCity, Morgeu, Encarta, Polenth, Giants, Monsters and Dragons, Dragon Cove, and too many more.
* When God created earth, he created Leviathan in the sea and the desert monster Behemoth and at the End of the World, he will destroy both, and thus destroy waters and land.
* Has many forms: some with many heads, chain mail and shields down his back, bright eyes like the sun, evil-smelling fog. some say was a whale or dolphin
* Swallowed Jonah and kept him for 3 days.
* Some equate it with the Oroborus, which holds its tail in its mouth and circles the earth
* Symbolizes: evil, turmoil, chaos, man’s willfullness and pride against God
* Challenged God’s supremacy
* Associated with water
* Can also be called Lotan, who has 7 heads in Canaanite myths
* In Ugaritic religion, Leviathan is the god of evil
* Will be a delicacy served on Judgement Day at the banquet
* May refer to the Draco constellations.
“[In] Hebrew myth Yahweh slays Leviathan – even though in the oldest Jewish texts Yahweh is portrayed as a serpent-god”. (Source: OzWitch).